Friday, February 22, 2013

A Tale of Two Teacups

Those who know me well know that I have a "thing" for teacups. Teacups made in England are my particular favorites, but old or new, I love them all! Of course, I enjoy drinking tea out of them, too. 

"Nana's Teacup", 5 x 3.5, watercolor and colored pencil

I have about a dozen vintage teacups that belonged to my mother-in-law, Elinore. When she married Hank back in 1952, her mother gave her those teacups as a gift. Every teacup pattern is different, but remarkably, each and every one has a rose of some sort painted on it. Since Elinore was marrying a  Mr. Rose, this seems very appropriate, I think!

"Teacup with Lemon", 5 x 3.5, watercolor and colored pencil

These two portraits are fairly small, and I enjoyed the challenge of rendering the different textures of china, silver, lace and tea all in two tiny paintings. Light watercolor washes on Arches watercolor board went down first, then oil-based colored pencil on top of that.  It's a method that is quick and fun with very satisfying results. So, now I suppose I need to paint the other ten teacups, too!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment